This house is significant as a good example of a New England Colonial. This house was built circa 1800 on land purchased by Nehemiah Bristol. It was originally the home of the Reverend Samuel Andrew.
Reverend Andrew, a Harvard graduate, was third pastor of the First Church of Milford (from 1685 - 1738) and one of the founders and original trustees of Yale College, and served as its rector pro tempore from 1707 - 1719. It is claimed that Rector Andrew taught the Yale senior class in this house.
It was then purchased by Nehemiah Bristol. In 1701, Andrew was granted a 999-year lease from Common Land Committee for the land and his dwelling house for $45. Bristol rebuilt the house after he acquired the lease.
124 North Street is a two-and-one-half story New England Colonial. The ridge is set parallel to the street and there is a massive brick chimney located centrally along the ridge. There are wide overhangs of the roof at the eaves and the rake. The facade is 5/5 bays wide with a central entrance. The entrance is shielded by a flat-roofed portico with a projecting cornice and supported by Doric columns. The door is topped by a transom. Windows are 12/12 double-hung sash with plain trim. A shed-roofed portico supported by square posts is located on the southern elevation. The house is clad in clapboards and rests on a raised fieldstone foundation.
This house is located on the western side of North Street in a residential neighborhood of historic homes near the corner of the "Kissing Bridge" over the Wepawaug River
Common Name: Rev. Samuel Andrew House Date(s): c. 1800 Style(s): Colonial Historic Use: Single-family residence Present Use: Single-family residence
Exterior visible from public road.
Meredith and Ryan. Town Wide Survery of Milford, CT, 1977.
Town of Milford Assessor's Record.
Stacey Vairo, Scheller Preservation Associates
12 Orchard Lane, Watertown, CT 06795
The overriding mission of the Milford Preservation is to save Milford's historic places and properties. We encourage the protection of what remains of our historic places by using federal, state, and local laws and regulations.